Saturday, February 1, 2014

TYPES OF SENTENCES

TYPES OF SENTENCES
  • Simple sentences:
A simple sentence is a sentence which has a subject and a verb.
Examples:
I live in Morocco.
They speak English very well.
I often give my friends present on their birthdays.
They travelled to Agadir last summer.
We are listening to Rai music.
  • A compound sentence
contains independent clauses joined by:  and, or, but, so.
 Examples:
I watched a movie, and my brother played computer games.
She was tall, but her sister was short.
They can play in basketball, or go swimming.
It was very cold, so I stayed at home.
  • A complex sentence
is a sentence which has a principal clause and one or more subordinate clauses. A complex sentence has always a subordinator, such as: because, because of, due to, as , since
 Examples:
Because it was cold, I put on my coat.
I put on my coat because of the cold.
Due to the cold, I put on my coat.

I put on my coat due to the cold.

No comments :

Post a Comment